Thursday, March 22, 2012

Turning Passion into Performance.

Stevie Ray Vaughan is my absolute favorite guitar player of all time. I can sit and watch videos of him for hours (and I have) without being able to fully comprehend the genius and talent I am watching. I was introduced to his music in college by two of my best friends, AFlint and MickFnOlsen, and I've been addicted to his playing ever since then. The first video I saw was a dvd of Stevie Ray's 1983 performance at Austin City Limits, which is a legendary gig for any musician. What I saw was a life-changer; SRV playing she shit out of Hendrix's Voodoo Chile. Un frickin believable. Raw passion and power, insane talent and technical skill, and an "I don't give a fuck attitude". Loved it and still love it.

On a personal level, he was a compassionate but troubled musician. By 1983 he had developed a pretty severe drug and alcohol problem that he would battle for a good part of the 80's. In his 1983 ACL performance he was pasty white and looked sick, which I am guessing is from drug use. Unlike so many other musicians, however, Stevie turned his life around with the help of his wife Lenny (who he wrote a song about) and continued to amazing fans from all around the world with his beat-up Strat. His music emulates his love and struggles in struggles in life, and the passion/pain can be seen in his eyes. From anything from "Texas Flood" to "Life Without You", Stevie Ray Vaughan touches your soul while simultaneously melting your face. Enjoy my two favorite clips of many favorite SRV clips.

Austin City Limits 1983 
"Voodoo Chile"

                                                    Volunteer Jam in Nashville, TN 1987
                                                             "Life Without You"


                                                                   "Texas Flood"

2 comments: